Programs and policies are often implemented as a response to social needs – that are sometimes revealed in social research – and require accountability mechanisms to ensure that they are effective at meeting their objectives in a cost-efficient manner, and that they are creating the intended results for stakeholders. Program evaluations are based on theoretical models and look at all stakeholders: participants, providers, and other interested parties. Evaluations use document analysis; performance indicators according to the evaluated programs’ objectives and logical framework development; and tools found in broader social research, such as in-depth interviews, focus groups, surveys and data analysis.
In essence, program evaluation is an expertise that helps organizations to allocate their resources effectively and efficiently. Advanis has experienced and highly qualified researchers who are members of the Canadian Evaluation Society and the Société québécoise d’évaluation de programme. Recent engagements include:
- Evaluation of the Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund (MRIF) for the Quebec Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Regions in partnership with Canada Economic Development. Advanis’s mandate was to measure the program’s impacts on municipalities and recipient organizations, thereby determining whether the outcomes met the Fund’s objectives.
- Evaluation of a program aimed at supporting student achievement in underprivileged primary and secondary schools in the Laurentian region of Quebec.
- Evaluation of the Careers: The Next Generation (CAREERS) program—an independent agency funded by the Government of Alberta that provides a suite of services to enable Alberta’s youth to become aware of, and experience, career opportunities in the trades and selected areas experiencing high skills shortages. Advanis’ evaluation helped quantify the impact of the program and specific areas for improvement.
- Following the implementation of “Ma santé, je m’en occupe”, on behalf of Montreal’s Health and Social Services Agency, Advanis evaluated the needs of the public health sector for such a program.
- On behalf of the Financière agricole du Québec, we evaluated the success of income support programs for farmers.